Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2012

Liver & Onions

Hey there "Q" fans! I've got a down home, country cooking classic here. Being born & raised on a farm, I had to endure, I mean enjoy this from an early age. As a child, it was a meal that conjured terror, but as I grew older, I learned to love it.

Some people love it and some people hate it. One of the things people don't like is the texture. I find if you overcook it, it becomes grainy, so don't walk away while cooking it. Timing is important to get a tender piece.
What you'll need is fairly simple:

1 1lb beef liver
1/2 onion, sliced
2 T butter
2 T olive oil
salt
pepper
flour


In a hot skillet, saute your onions until they begin to caramelize. This should only take a few minutes. Set aside the onions and add the olive oil to the pan.

Lightly salt and pepper both sides and dredge the liver in the flour and shake off any excess. Place the liver in the pan and cook about 3 or 4 minutes on each side. The outside will get a nice crispy crust and the center will be a bit pink.


Top your liver with the warm caramelized onions and serve with your favorite sides. I chose mac & cheese to accompany it. Trust me, if you cook it right, you can't go wrong...Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment